Thursday 17 March 2016

Feast of Saint Patrick of Ireland



IMPORTANT FACTS :

Patrick was ignorant and confused most of the time but when he found Jesus;his life changed.
Patrick knew well that the Lord had mercy on his youth and ignorance, and afforded him the opportunity
to be forgiven of his sins and converted to Christianity.During captivity,Saint Patrick worked as a shepherd and strengthened his relationship with God through prayer eventually leading him to convert to Christianity.

When he was in Ireland,he converted wealthy women,some of whom became nuns in the face of family opposition.He also dealt with the sons of kings,converting them to the faith.
There was a time when Patrick recalled that he had a vision a few years after returning home and he wrote
in his book:
"I saw a man coming, as it were from Ireland. His name was Victoricus, and he carried many letters, and he gave me one of them.I read the heading: "The Voice of the Irish". 
As I began the letter, I imagined in that moment that I heard the voice 
of those very people who were near the wood of Foclut, which is beside 
the western sea—and they cried out, as with one voice: 
"We appeal to you, holy servant boy, to come and walk among us."

Patrick was very well known for the Shamrock, which St. Patrick used to explain the Holy Trinity, is a symbol that has become synonymous with Irish Catholic culture.He was very creative in teaching the faith
that many were amazed with him and some were very jealous.

He died on March 17, 461 at Saul, where he had built the first Irish church.He was buried in Down Cathedral, Downpatrick. His grave was marked in 1990 with a granite stone.
When he died many missed his creative teachings but they never forgot what he taught them and that
is why until today we can still use the Shamrock to teach people about the Holy Trinity in such a easy
way and that is thanks to Saint Patrick.

Saint Patrick was not officially canonized by the Pope but many called him a Saint and the Catholic Church
has accepted him as a Saint in Heaven and therefore we are lucky to have him as a Saint.The people in
Ireland really loves him and they have placed a statue of him over the mountain which was very well known
to be Saint Patrick's favourite place during his time here on earth.

 Statue of St Patrick, at the foot of Croagh Patrick Holy Mountain,
 Westport, County Mayo, Ireland 


Quotes of Saint Patrick of Ireland:

  • If I be worthy, I live for my God to teach the heathen,even though they may despise me.
  • Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.
  • I am Patrick, a sinner, most uncultivated and least of all the faithful and despised in the eyes of many.
  • The Lord opened the understanding of my unbelieving heart, so that I should recall my sins.


The colour Green has been the symbol of nature due to the teachings of Saint Patrick 
who always taught the people of Ireland by using the Gift of Nature.



PRAYER TO SAINT PATRICK OF IRELAND:
O Saint Patrick,Lover of Nature,you who treasured the gift of nature and desired to bring God through His wonderful gift of nature to the people of Ireland;intercede for us.Grant us grace to find ways to spread
the Good News of the Lord in a creative way.Teach us to seek the Most Holy Trinity daily in our lives that we like you may be transform each day into beautiful shamrock of Christ.Amen.
Saint Patrick of Ireland,Beautiful Shamrock of the Most Holy Trinity,pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment